Winter is actually very enjoyable time here in Germany and Australia. I am living very close to many ski field and I really enjoy skiing in Winter. But sometimes we had problem with our cold temperature, snow and rain in winter. That is why we try to make sure every doors and window are air tight and safe for cold air. If the cold air is coming into the living rooms or to the apartment, you are sure that your gas bill or electricity bill with be really high. Sometimes we do not realize why it is so high, but it is only because we do not notice holes in our doors and windows. Sometimes it can be from the basement windows too if we do not check long time or leave the window well covers opened. It also depends on the materials we used for well covers too.
It is better to make a rough test before winter comes. This test can save most of our time and money by saving energy and freedom to use winter holidays.
Here are a few tips or quick checklists for our basement window and covers:
- Clean well covers and check any air leaking problem
- Check if there is any water coming into the basement well ( if yes make sure that you fix it properly)
- Fire Woods are stored in proper place
- Put oil in hardware of windows and doors
- If you have humidifier filter then clean it properly
- Check electrical fuses, emergency exit and flashlights
After you have done all this steps, then you are sure that there will be no further problem to pass through winter.